Metropolitan Arts Centre - Belfast
2012 Construction Commitment Category:
Health & Safety
Construction Start: 11 December 2009
Construction Finish: 11 November 2011
Total Project Value: £17 Million
Construction Value: £12.92 Million
The £17million Metropolitan Arts Centre (MAC) is in the heart of the Cathedral Quarter, Belfast. The building is 6-storeys high with a floor area of 5500 sq.m and is made up of two brick blocks joined by a lantern shaped tower which is 32m high. The MAC includes two performance spaces (350 seat and 120 seat respectively), three major visual art galleries, a dance studio, education rooms, workshop and rehearsal spaces, offices for resident arts groups as well as a resident artist, cool cafe and bar.
What are the innovations being demonstrated?
- Incentive scheme for site operatives and staff for every 50,000 man-hours worked with no lost time accidents/incidents.
- Implementation of an occupational health seminar programme for all site operatives.
- Weekly Subcontractor Safety Meetings.
- Fortnightly Toolbox Talks using the speech-bubble interactive bi-lingual safety talks.
- Weekly Internal Safety Audits issued to the client.